Sometimes you don't need much to make a great burger. Cheese, onions and beef smashed together on a griddle are all you need to make your taste buds happy and your neighbors envious.
- 1 Pound ground beef, 80% lean
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- Traeger Beef Rub
- butter, melted
- 2 Medium white onions, thinly sliced
- 4 Slices American cheese
- 4 potato buns, or white burger buns
- ketchup and mustard, for serving
- 2 Cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- sliced pickles, for serving
- Form ground beef into 3oz-4oz balls and season with salt and pepper or Beef Rub.
- When ready to cook, set Traeger temperature to 450°F and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes. Place a cast iron griddle on the grill grate while the grill preheats.
- Oil the griddle with fat or butter. Place the onions on the corner of griddle to start caramelizing. Place burger balls on hot griddle and immediately smash them down with a spatula until flattened thin, (about a half inch).
- Cook until burgers are well browned.
- Carefully flip the burger, place some onions on top of the patty, then add cheese. Butter buns and place on griddle to toast.
- Remove burgers and buns from grill and build in this order: bottom bun, desired sauce, lettuce, burger with caramelized onions and cheese, another layer of lettuce, house pickles, a little more sauce and the top bun. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Originally posted by Traeger.
Posted September 13, 2021